Friday, December 29, 2006

To Be(lieve) or not to Be(lieve)...That is the Question.

A couple of nights after Christmas, the dreaded question came. We were going through our nightly routine...brushing teeth; going potty; washing hands; getting the last sips of water for the evening; saying prayers; singing lullabies; kisses and snuggles; saying i love you's; and so forth. I walked out of the boy's room to go tuck Aiden into her bed, and Chad stayed behind for the last few "needs" that the boys had before they were content to fall asleep. That's when the question came. As Chad was walking out of the room, Colton said, "Dad?" Chad said, "What?" And Colton said, "Is Santa real?" I can't believe it. I am so sad. Some of the magic fanished with those words. Now, I understand that the real "magic" of Christmas is the Christ child and what He has done for us, but I loved the excitement of Santa Claus and what he represented for me and my brother as children. I loved looking up the chimney when we were young. I love leaving the milk and cookies on the fireplace hearth...feeling content that we had done our part so that Santa would not get hungry during his long night's trip. I loved the anticipation on Christmas Eve...knowing he was coming, and the not being able to fall asleep that night because we were so excited. I still love it. I love that I feel the same feeling when I see the wonder in my children. Chad replied with, "We will talk in the morning." Now usually, this answer would never suffice for Colton. But this night it did. Chad told me to have an answer prepared for him in the morning...and I did. Colton has not brought it up again though, and neither have we. I am hoping that the magic will captivate him a little longer...that he decided that he wasn't quite ready to let it go. We shall see. On the flip side...Chase decided that this year was the year that he and Santa become good friends. He could not stop singing about him, talking about him, wanting to go see him all season. This was the first year that he was not scared to sit on his lap. Chase had been practicing his request for days before the big trip to the mall. "Hi Santa. I want a Secret I.D. Batman and Bruce Wayne." I never thought to warn him that Santa would not present him with his toy that night at the mall. That took some explaining after I pulled Chase from his lap. Well, tonight, Chase couldn't go to sleep. So we let him get in our bed. Chad was in the living room watching TV, and I was in our bathroom getting ready for bed. The door was closed most of the way, and I heard Chase pick up the phone by our bed and start dialing. I walked out of the bathroom and over to him, bent down and said, "What are you doing Chase?" To that, Chase replied, "I'm calling Santa." I love the innocence. Of course Santa is at home, in the North Pole, sitting by the fireplace, in a rocking chair, by the phone, waiting to answer a phone call from his new buddy, Chase.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this, Mindy. Thanks. Gramma Sue

Killer Hawk said...

You mean Santa isn't real?!?!!?

Anonymous said...

Tough one. We have not broached it with Silas either, and he is still holding on...on another note, LOVED your Christmas card. Was that done via a store, professional, what?? May copy your amazing idea for future cards. ALthough I am thinking Valentine's day again for next year!

Anonymous said...

Mindy - what did you decide on for the big family pic? It was a beautiful photo shoot!

Killer Hawk said...

mindy - couldn't you get chad to shave for the pics? cool looking kids.