Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Story About a Horse


Do you see that horse?  You probably are looking at the one that we are on...but this story is about the other one.  It's a story about the horse in the background...the one that is quietly grazing...the one that looks thin...and a little bit lonely...and who is staying out of the limelight, even though a little attention would have probably done him good.  This particular morning, to be honest, I didn't even really notice him.  It wasn't until after...when I was casually looking through my pictures that I saw that I had captured him forever...even though I wasn't intending to.

****

I was thrilled to meet Holly, the guide and operator of the stables, at the base of the mountain trail that we would be riding on.  It was just Aiden and I for the first day.  We were introduced to the horses we would be riding and could barely wait to mount them.  Holly had brought along an extra horse, just in case Chase or Colton decided that they wanted to go.  They both decided to go fishing instead, so Apollo...the horse in the background...got to stay back.  I noticed he was neighing a lot as we left him at the base...and then when we got back as well.  After the ride was over,  Aiden and I had to hang around and wait for mom to come pick us up...so we talked with Holly and the horses while she saddled Apollo up for the next trail riders.  As she was putting the saddle on him, he began backing up and bobbing his head...as if pleading for Holly to understand.  She picked up on his signs right away and Aiden and I began to watch her work.  The next trail ride was about to begin and the people arrived.  If this trail ride was going to happen, Apollo was going to have to have a rider.  Holly quickly apologized to them and said that there was no way that Apollo could make the trip.  There was no question, as they saw Apollo struggling and graciously agreed to re-schedule and pulled away.  So, there we were.  Holly, Aiden and I...along with 4 horses...a mile up the mountain and alone.

****

After only a few minutes, Apollo was so uncomfortable that he was trying to lay down and roll.  I knew enough that a horse was not supposed to do that, but I really didn't know why.  Holly said that he had colic, and that if he layed down and rolled, his intestines could kink up and if that happened...he would die.  The only way to fix it would be surgery within an hour of kinking, and that was impossible.  So...the only option was to keep him walking.  This could help the colic to pass and Apollo to get comfortable again.  So, she began walking him.  At this point, Aiden watched while I tried to figure out some way to help.  The other horses had to have their saddles and bridles removed so that Holly could load them into the trailer to take them back to the stables, however Apollo could not be allowed to lay down...which was all he wanted to do at this point.  So........she gave me the reigns.  She just looked at me and said, "keep him walking."

****

So, while my daughter watched, I lead Apollo.  When he would try to lay, I would pull his reigns and keep him up.  When he would rear up, I would hold him down.  And we he would whine, I would gently talk to him and use one hand to stroke his neck that was already beginning to sweat from pain.  Holly worked quickly, but it seemed like forever.  I will never forget looking into his eyes and watching him begin to pant as Holly took the reigns from me to load him into the trailer.  The vet was already on her way and was meeting them at the stables.

****

The next morning, I walked down to the stables to check on Apollo.  He had died.

****

It was a weird feeling...knowing that I had been a part of his last few hours; that I had softly spoken to him as I lead him around; and that my face was one of the last ones he saw.  I wished I had noticed him before...when he was quietly grazing.  I wished I had sat proudly on him and taken a picture.  A picture where you could see his gentle, brown eyes. A picture where he looked strong and able.  A picture that would have made him feel as important as he was.

****

 Aiden had quite the introductory to horsemanship.  And me?  Well...I fell more in love with horses than I already was.  Gentle animals they are...right up until their last breath. 

No comments: