Sunday, January 01, 2012

The End of the Year

First of all...Chad got me a new laptop for Christmas.  Blogging has become a little bit easier, folks.  Plus...he bought...

drum roll...

www.mindyclarkson.com!!

I have my own website, people!

That's something I thought I'd never say.

What a guy.

****

Happy New Year, by the way.

Writing has been sparse over the last week, due to Chad's family being in town.  His brother, sister-in-law, and our niece and nephew were here from Iowa.  We did it up right with Big Texas, the Boardwalk and the Beach...with a tea party sprinkled in here and there.

I needed a little reinforcement while trying to get the house un-christmatized and ready for company...and Colt was just the guy to help.  Let's face it.  The boy can throw a mean tea party when he has to.


Once they arrived, it was time to bring out the big guns.  There is nothing like a camp fire hot dog and marshmallow roast to say "Welcome to Texas."




It was high time these two got properly acquainted.  When we were in Iowa this past Summer, they were too young to fully appreciate each other.


Something got Chase's tinsel in a tangle this particular night and he decided to pull the, ever popular for 9 year old boys "I'm gonna run away" card.  So...he packed his bag with the necessities.

After I convinced him to wait until the next day to leave, I went through his bag.  You know...just to make sure he had packed his toothbrush.


There was no toothbrush...but you never no when you might need a pair of magician's handcuffs and a Kermit the frog puppet.


Luckily...he forgot about his plan over night.

****

We hit the boardwalk and enjoyed watching the kids play while we sat by the water and ate lunch.



Now...I can't be certain, but it is possible that she may or may not have been pushing him at this point.

They are both pretty scrappy.









The fist bump is really hangin on.







They dressed in the finest of attire for a tea party.  My mother made both of those dresses for me when I was little.  They thought they were pretty fancy.




Pinkies up.






The Beach was foggy...but beautiful.  I love a clear day...but there is something eerie and beautiful about a fog covered ocean.  It's as if the waves and the sky are whispering to each other about something bigger going on.


My niece and nephew were seeing the ocean for the first time...and I was just the gal to introduce them.

The beach is in my bones.






My beach babies were re-united with the surf and sand like old friends.
















The new year seems to sneak up on me faster and faster as they roll by.  Something about that evokes a fear and sadness that I have been pushing down, down, down, although I feel it creeping to the service slowly but surely.

Like how can Colt be old enough to take off across the country with Chad for a quick Iowa visit?  Doesn't he need me to take care of him?  I barely even had to help him pack.  And, the start of a new year means he is another year older, come January 14th.

Yep.  11 is just around the corner.

And Jr. High, for that matter.

Don't get me started.

Baby steps.

I'll get there.  (To acceptance, that is.)

Hopefully before he gets to 6th grade.


It has always taken me a while to transition...whether it be to a new town or into a new year.  But don't worry.  I'll rally.

I've learned that I have to appropriately mourn the loss of the previous year, the Christmas that's past, my youth that is appearing further and further away in my rear-view mirror.  It doesn't work if I don't.  I can't celebrate the new without remembering the old.

Give me a few weeks and I'll be ready to make resolutions and goals and focus on the promise of a new beginning.

But in the meantime...

Happy New Year to you and yours.

No comments: