Friday, May 25, 2012

James Dobson, Goosey Lucy, and Hip Hop

Well it's never a good sign when a perfect stranger suggests that you read James Dobson's

The Strong Willed Child

after spending a half hour with your 2 year old.

Of course, she meant well.

I smiled...caught Flicka before she dismantled the fish tank...held onto her arm tightly...and politely said,

"Kiss my @&$."  "I'll check it out."

I thought about it the rest of the day.

How we can't "let her be in control" and "let her get away with everything because she is the youngest."

No doubt...I agree.

But I came to the realization that she's got my number.

Annslee looks at me and thinks,

"That woman's tired."

She can sense defeat from a mile away.  She's thinkin'

"She's got 4 of us.  She's totally out numbered and she's got very little fight left in her.  So if I kick it up a few notches...I've got it in the bag."

And I swear...we DON'T let her get away with everything.  But I will admit...sister gets away with waaaaaay more than the other 3 did.

For example, this was after I told her to put the hat back where she got it.



This was when I told her...


"Annslee.  We are not buying that hat.  Please put it back where you found it."


This was when I told her to stay sitting on the bench and to not touch the shoes.


This was after I told her to sit down while she was eating.


This was after I told her not to puddle jump.


This was after I told her she was not going to have her drink in the car.  I can't remember who was supposed to be holding it for her so that it wouldn't spill everywhere.  But...I blame them.


Chad has said from the beginning,

"Why do I get the feeling that she's gonna be the one we are draggin' out of parties by her hair when she's 13?"

Maybe I need to give James a little looksee.

****

Aiden had her Chicken Little play today.  These are some of the cutie pies in her class.  Well...AJ squeezed herself in there...but you get the drift.


She played Goosey Lucy.

Yesterday, when I picked her up from school, I asked her if she was excited to do her play the next day.  She said that she was very excited.  I asked her if she was supposed to wear anything special and she said,

"No.  We can just wear regular clothes.  But I woooooould like to wear something...Goosey."


That's as "goosey" as we could get at such short notice.

Side note:  It drove me absolutely bonkers that her ribbon at the end of her braid was untied the entire play.

****

Chase hosted a hip hop dance party in the driveway for us last night.  There was a lot of dancing going on.


And that's when I decided that the happiness that can be found dancing in the driveway is really underestimated.


No comments: